Being obese could cut your life by 10 years. I don't know about you, but I'm suddenly feeling very motivated.
This finding comes from an analysis of 57 different studies that included almost 900,000 people. The short story is this:
- A normal BMI is 18.5 to 24.9.
- Death rates were lowest among people with a BMI of 23 to 24.
- A BMI of 30 to 35 could potentially take two to four years off life.
- Being morbidly obese, or having a BMI of 40 to 45, could shorten life by eight to 10 years.
- Being underweight, with a BMI of less than 22.5, was also associated with a shorter lifespan.