Sunday, 22 March 2009

BMI or Body Fat Scale?

Filed under:


I don't really trust BMI. Convenient, I know, since mine is always high -- I'm tall, I'm big-boned (no, really, I am), and I have more muscle than most women, so even at my absolute fittest, I weigh more than I should by BMI standards. I'm far more interested in how much body fat I have, and I know I'm not the only one. But, like many of you, I don't want to go to my local health club and be poked and prodded so someone can determine my body fat percentage. Fortunately, that's not necessary.

scaleLongLifeClub reviewed the Tanita Body Fat Scale, which sounds like a great gadget to have around the house. Body fat scales measure the amount of fat in your body by sending an electrical current through your body (you don't even feel it, but it's not for use by those with any type of surgically-implanted medical device, like a pacemaker). It takes into account your height, weight, age and gender as well.

The one reviewed was just $79.95, but you can spend up to almost $300 on a Tanita scale if you opt for the Tanita Ironman Segmental and Full Body Composition Monitor. But, once you get the scale, how do you know what your body fat percentage should be?

Continue reading BMI or Body Fat Scale?

Permalink | Email this | Comments

No comments: