Tuesday, 20 November 2007

To dip or not to dip

Filed under: ,

It's two days before Thanksgiving, and the mass exodus has already begun. Who was stuck in traffic for two hours tonight, raise your hand? And who wished they had the foresight to take the back roads instead? Yup, got me on both of those. Fortunately, the holiday commute does eventually end, the stress does subside, and what will remain will be a delicious Thanksgiving spread.

But, as many writers here on That's Fit have pointed out, you do have to be a bit careful to not unintentionally go overboard with your eating this holiday. For this reason, I thought it would be most apropos to pay specific attention to the oft-forgotten fat and calorie culprit: The Dip.

The following list, sourced from the most recent issue of Fitness Magazine, points out which popular holiday dips you should and shouldn't be dippin' into. Still, I can't say I agree with all of them, which is why I offer up my own commentary as well.

SPINACH DIP

  • They Say: Skip. Too many calories (78g) and too much fat (7.6g) per serving
  • I Say: Dip. Spinach is extremely rich in several vitamins and minerals. And, but substituting a low or no fat cream cheese, you get rid of most of those unwanted calories and some or all of that fat.

SMOKED SALMON & CREAM CHEESE DIP

  • They Say: Skip. Again, too many calories (70g) and too much fat (6g) per serving
  • I Say: Dip. Salmon is extremely rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, so the fat you are getting is actually a healthy fat. what isn't, however, is the fat found in the cream cheese. The same remedy for the spinach dip also applies here - use low or no fat cream cheese.

HUMMUS

  • They Say: Dip. Hummus is mostly made of chick peas, which are a great source of fiber. It also contains a healthy amount of olive oil, a source of a good fat.
  • I Say: Dip. For all the same reasons.

SALSA

  • They Say: Dip. Tomatoes are rich in lycopene and vitamin A and C. Plus there are very few calories in salsa.
  • I Say: Dip. Same deal - salsa, especially homemade salsa, is a rather healthy treat. Just be a bit more careful with the store bought kind, though. It sometimes can contain more sugar and much more sodium.

It seems as though the folks over at Fitness Magazine and I don't quite see things the same way on this. I suppose we can agree to disagree.

I'll have to try to keep that mentality as I'm driving home tomorrow night.

No comments: