Wednesday, 14 November 2007

Thirty different names for sugar

Filed under: , ,

Did you know ethyl maltol is sugar? Sorbitol, dextran and diatase are sugar, too. Getting sugar out of your diet is more than just reading the label and looking for sugar, high fructose corn syrup, molasses or brown sugar. Sugar is everywhere, and it's important to familiarize yourself with the different names for sugar listed on packaging labels.

Ann Louise Gittleman identifies the culprits in her book, Get the Sugar Out: 501 Simple Ways to Cut the Sugar Out of Any Diet. Gittleman promises dodging sugar is the easiest way to stay slim for life. The book also offers 50 recipes -- like Gone Nutty Frozen Bananas -- for you to try. Following even a sprinkling of the 501 tips is sure to reduce the amount you currently ingest. Americans currently consume over 150 pounds of sugar per capita each year.

I've cut my candy/dessert consumption out almost entirely, but I find myself reaching for too many sugary foods like raisins or large sips from my kids' smoothies to undermine my goals. The chocolate mint truffle coffee creamer is especially enjoyable this time of year. But barley malt, I'm onto you. I know you're sugar, too.

No comments: