Monday, 12 November 2007

Thinking of bleaching your teeth at home? Things to know

Filed under: ,

We've all seen the ads for over-the-counter teeth whiteners, and I'll admit to being curious about them myself. I've never taken the leap, however, because I'm concerned about safety and the long-term health of my teeth. But then I read this article from the Seattle Times.

According to them, if the directions are followed closely and you don't try to whiten too frequently, then bleaching your teeth with an OTC whitener can be safe and effective. However, though these methods are inexpensive compared to having your dentist do the procedure, they don't last nearly as long -- one to six months, compared to six to twelve months when done professionally.

Additionally, OTC whiteners don't work on things like caps, crowns, veneers, or dentures, and they also aren't effective on certain stains. So if you're willing to accept those conditions and don't try to over-whiten your teeth, it appears to be a safe enough procedure.

No comments: