Monday, 12 November 2007

Get a good night's sleep on the right mattress

Filed under: ,

On a recent shopping trip to check out new mattresses, the salesmen was trying to show me differences in firmness. After trying out two or three mattresses that all felt the same to me, he said, "Here, try this one." I immediately sank into the softest mattress I have ever felt. It was like lying on a huge bed of feathers, and it felt like Heaven. But I knew I could never get a good night's sleep on it.

Though people are too diverse in their mattress preferences to be properly studied, most sleep experts agree that firm is better. That's because a too-soft mattress won't support your hips and spine, and you could wake with pain in the morning. Instead, try to find a balance with a mattress that's firm enough to support your weight, but still has plenty of cushion and bounce for comfort.

WebMD recently interviewed sleep experts to find out what things to consider when shopping for a new mattress. If you're in the market for one, you may want to take a minute and see what they had to say.

No comments: