Monday, 12 November 2007

Does zinc really help beat a cold?

Filed under: , ,

For years, I've popped Cold-Eeze zinc drops whenever I get that telltale tickle in the back of my throat that tells me a cold is coming. Sometimes, my cold is mild, and sometimes it's not. I couldn't really tell you if zinc works or not based on my own very unscientific observations, but I always felt like it was doing something.

That something may have been a placebo effect...or maybe not. A recent exhaustive review of studies involving zinc vs. the common cold produced mixed results. At best, zinc gluconate lozenges may have a moderate effect on a cold bug, but zinc acetate lozenges were deemed worthless.

I ran out of Cold-Eeze before my last virus and it was really, really bad. Was it because I didn't have my zinc? Or would it have been a bad cold anyway? The jury continues to be out on zinc. What do you think?

No comments: