Wednesday, 14 November 2007

Ask Fitz! Your Fitness Questions Answered - Postpartum workouts & Training while injured

Filed under: , , , , , , , , , ,

Have fitness questions? Fitz has your answer. Our ThatsFit.com fitness expert -- and now your own virtual personal trainer -- will help you get fit, increase your overall health and do it in a fun way. Drop your questions here in the Comments section below and we'll choose two per week to publish on That's Fit! Learn more about Fitz here.

Q. Hi Fitz, I am really happy to have found your website and I am really looking forward to you help. Now to try and keep my story short...I have two kids and a third arriving soon. I have been working out for a long time now and I really enjoy it. Usually I can go on my treadmill in the basement while the kids come down a play. But now with a new baby arriving that will make things more of a challenge. I need to be able to workout upstairs where the baby will be, so I can't really have something big like a treadmill or elliptical taking up the whole room. The two items I was debating between are a mini stepper or a set of three DVDs called Hip Hop Abs which is basically fast passed dancing. I am looking for some advice and help as to which option would be more beneficial to me. The stepper or dancing? I really do appreciate you taking the time to listen and help me with my problem. Many thanks, Aimee

A. Congratulations on your third child. Aimee. Wow! As if raising three kids wasn't a workout enough. Right? I only have two, and it requires tons of energy. Having said that, I don't think I'd survive Mommy-hood if I weren't exercising regularly. Not only to keep up my strength and stamina, but for the mental stress relief it provides.

I think you've got two great options with both the stepper and the videos, and they each offer unique benefits. The stepper offers a super challenging cardiovascular workout combined with a decent amount of leg work. The stepper would be great if you're the type of person who likes to watch your favorite show or zone out to some funky music while you train. I would recommend you incorporate some total body strength training if you choose the stepper though. The Hip Hop Abs video will provide you with a more well-rounded workout. Dancing requires lots of different body parts to engage, and the title leads me to believe that the series offers some sort of ab training along with the dancing. Not a bad idea for a postpartum woman. Not having seen these videos though, I don't know how intense this workout really is.

So, my question is......do you like to zone out while training? Or do you like to be totally involved? Want to burn a bazillion calories quickly? Go for the stepper. Want a well rounded moderately paced workout? Go with the dance videos. Sorry not to make the specific decision for you, but I believe that fitness training should be customized to the person doing it. Maybe you could pursue both? I wish you a painless labor, a healthy child, and fit future for you and your entire family! Fitz

Dear Fitz, I am a 24 year old female. I was recently in a car accident on February 28th of 2007 in which I broke my ankle. It will never be the same. I can only stand for short periods of time without having to sit back down. My current weight is 164lbs and I am 5' 8". I am 18 pounds heavier than I should be. I can't really do much working out because of my ankle. What do you suggest I do? I drink water all through out the day and don't consume much food high in calories or carbs. My weight doesn't go up, but it doesn't come down either. Please give me some advice. Thanks, Ashley

Continue reading Ask Fitz! Your Fitness Questions Answered - Postpartum workouts & Training while injured

No comments: