Monday, 1 October 2007

Teens get hooked after one puff

Filed under: ,

Confession time! I remember my first (and only) drag on a cigarette. It filled my lungs with a burning sensation and I coughed for about 5 minutes afterward. That was enough for me!

According to this article, I was one of the lucky ones. One third of kids who try cigarettes report feeling a relaxing sensation afterwards, and two-thirds of those kids are hooked. In fact, this study found that the relaxed feeling kids reported feeling was the biggest predictor in whether they'd go on to become regular smokers or not, adding support to the theory that just one cigarette is all it takes for kids to become addicted. Health experts say that this finding should be enough to ban cigarette advertising, and that efforts should be made to warn kids of the dangers of even taking that first puff.

No comments: