Tuesday, 9 October 2007

Panera provides plenty of picks

Filed under: , ,

I'm always on the lookout for healthy restaurant menu items. And while it takes quite a hunt to locate a safe bet, I'm slowly arriving at a few good picks. One of them -- a Low Fat Chicken Noodle Soup -- comes from Panera Bread.

One eight-ounce serving of this scrumptious soup comes with 100 calories and two grams of fat, neither of which fall into the saturated or trans fat categories. Complete with 15 mg of cholesterol, 15 grams of carbohydrates, one gram of fiber, one gram of sugar, five grams of protein, and 1080 mg of sodium -- here's the trade-off -- this soup gets a thumbs up by me.

Accompanied by a French baguette that pumps all these details up a bit, this soup is a yummy fare. And now that I've scoured the Panera menu, I know it's just about the healthiest option at this establishment. There's also lots of other good stuff. When I say good, I mean loaded with, at minimum, lots of fat -- The Fuji Apple Chicken salad (sounds healthy) has 570 calories and 30 grams of fat. But for those looking for a trimmed-down selection, the soup is it.

Bon Appetit!

No comments: