Thursday, 11 October 2007

5 supplements worth neglecting Screech for

Filed under: ,

What to GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, Vitamin World and Fitness Technology all have in common? The answer: My money. Just like the millions of Americans who this year who will visit one of these retailers and purchase a nutritional supplement of some kind, I too have contributed to each of their respective businesses on a number of occasions.

Am I just a nice guy, one who wants to see a multi-million (billion?) dollar industry continue to thrive? Not really. I suppose that if I was actually a nice person, I would use the money I typically spend on supplements to sponsor a child in need or even donate money to help Screech from TV's "Saved by the Bell" save his house. No, I am not a nice guy -- or at least it would seem. I am instead nothing more than a selfish, rotten, and self-serving fitness enthusiast who spends some of his surplus funds on supplements.

Since I'm such a bad person, spending my money on making my body healthier, I have to be sure that what I am buying is worth my neglecting-a-Screech-in-need money. For guys like me -- those who are looking to gain lean muscle mass -- these Men's Health Top 5 Supplements are pretty solid choices:

5 - Protein Shake. While it's entirely possible to get enough daily protein from your regular diet, it's sometimes quite difficult to do so. Protein shakes provide you with a convenient and tasty way to get at least 25 grams of protein and a substantial amount of amino acids with each serving.

4 - Creatine. The king of muscle-building supplements, clinical tests show that creatine can help increase muscle size and strength, in addition to speeding up recovery time after a workout.

3 - Multivitamin. About 80-percent of men don't get their RDA of vitamins and minerals. A simple fix is one of these babies. Be sure to buy a 'complete' multivitamin; such as GNC's Mega Men or even Centrum. Also, men should be sure to avoid multivitamins that contain extra iron, as it can increase the risk of heart disease.

2 - Green Tea. I know - tea isn't exactly the toughest thing in the world for a guy to drink. Nonetheless, you're going to have to suck it up and drink it down if you want to obtain the benefits of its natural antioxidants and fat burning properties.

1 - Fish Oil. It's certainly no mystery by now that Omega-3 fatty acids are extremely important to help stave off heart disease and myriad other maladies, which is why adding fish oil to your diet is a must.

I recently restocked my cabinet at home with all of these supplements, as well as a Glutamine powder. I'm a bad, bad man.

No comments: