Friday, 21 September 2007

Tune out to slim down

Filed under: , ,

I'm guilty. When I turn on the TV, I want to eat. Not such a bad thing now that I mostly snack on fresh fruit, but when cookies and candy were on my shopping list, watching TV was downright dangerous.

The more entertaining the television show, the more we tend to eat mindlessly, says Alan R. Hirsch, M.D., of the Smell and Taste Treatment and Research Foundation in Chicago. Programs that really capture our attention also expand our waistlines, according to Hirsch, who recommends we stop watching TV altogether, TiVo our favorites for times when our tummies are full, or trade the fun shows for boring ones.

You can also give my plan a try: Ditch all junk food and snack only on fresh fruits and veggies. Surely, enjoying an apple while watching Survivor never hurt anyone.

No comments: