Thursday, 27 September 2007

How to make your veggies taste better

Filed under: ,

I know it sounds cliche, but I've never liked brussel sprouts. They're one of the only veggies I don't care for, and while I'm sure they're awfully good for me, I just can't eat them. They're too bitter for me. But there might be a reason why brussel sprouts taste bitter to me -- I might not be getting enough zinc.

Seriously. A study from the University of Ulster in England found that women who didn't get at least 7 mg of zinc a day are more likely to find brussel spouts and similar veggies like cabbage bitter. The recommended daily intake for zinc is 8 mg and it's found in fish, lean beef, chicken, yogurt and nuts.

What do you think about this finding? I don't know that a lack of zinc is a problem for me -- I think it's just brussle sprouts are gross. Don't you agree?

No comments: