Tuesday, 18 September 2007

Exercise-related asthma is prevalent in college athletes

Filed under: ,

A recent study done on college athletes in Ohio has revealed that a large number of them have exercise-induced asthma -- in fact, 42% of those tested had the condition, and for 36% of those, it was the first time they had received a diagnosis of asthma. The reason? The symptoms and their causes are often overlooked in athletes.

I can see why. I have exercise-induced asthma, and for years I thought my symptoms happened because I was out of shape (even though I worked out often.) Exercise-induced asthma causes lung functioning to significantly decrease when undergoing aerobic activity, so it's important for athletes to be aware of.

Wondering if you might have exercise-induced asthma? If you feel like you had a tight band around your chest, whenever you run, preventing you from taking in enough air, you just might. Talk to your doctor.

No comments: