Thursday, 20 September 2007

Can you overcome shyness?

Filed under: , ,

Shyness is something that affects many people. And while it doesn't seem like a big deal to extroverts to enter a room filled with people, for shy people, it is terrifying. I know because I've struggled with shyness my whole life. And while I don't know that shy people can ever be completely cured of their social anxiety (I know I still get the sweats when I have to face a crowd,) you can learn to overcome shyness. Here are some suggestions from eDiets:
  • Change your focus: Don't become obsessed with what negative things people are saying or thinking about you -- think about things you like about yourself.
  • Become familiar: We're most shy when we're in unfamiliar surroundings or with new people. Next time you have a blind date or go to a party, bring a friend.
  • Take small steps: Make small conversations daily, and work your way up to long ones
  • Shift blame: Don't blame yourself when things go awry. Blame the situation and move on.
  • Plan ahead: Think of questions to ask or topics to bring up.
Speaking as a shy person, I've done all of these things and they work ... with practice. What do you think?

No comments: