Friday, 21 September 2007

Blotting pizza cuts calories, fat

Filed under: ,

My little boys are fans of the kids' cheese pizza sold at the sandwich shop Schlotsky's. It's not what I'd first choose for them to devour -- it contains 479 calories and 13 grams of fat -- but they love it. And I love when they actually eat, so I mostly oblige when they request this cheesy treat. To make myself feel better about their food choice, which happens to come with a side of grease, I blot the top of their meals with napkins and try to sponge up every bit of oily stuff I can manage. Does my strategy accomplish much? I don't know. Still, it makes me feel better.

While flipping through the September 12 issue of Woman's Day magazine last night, I got my answer. "Blotting your pizza with a napkin can soak up around 30 calories and three grams of fat," read a little blurb on page 20. So my technique works, to some degree. My kids are now ingesting 449 calories and 10 grams of fat. Not ideal. But better.

No comments: