Tuesday, 10 July 2007

Ouch ladies! Studies say that women are feeling the pain more than men

Filed under: , , ,

Alright, I have to say that I find it hard to accept that women feel more pain than men. However, according to this article, numerous studies have shown otherwise. I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong, but I don't know if the evidence provided sways my opinion very much.

The piece states that, not only are women hurting more than men, but that they rate the pain that they feel at much more intense levels than do men. It also says though, that studies are based on how each sex feels about their pain, rather than some sort of actual scientific measure. They give various theories on why girls and guys may feel differently about the aches that they experience, including possible genetic links. I think it may be more cultural. Perhaps men just don't want to admit that they're hurting?

In the end, I'm really not bothered either way about who lives with more pain. It's just a fact of life that everyone is going to experience it at some point. I guess I just find it hard to accept since women are the ones giving birth! What hurts more than that? But I suppose that IS the point of the study. Women know that they experience some huge, intense pain during childbirth and other situations. I guess it's just how we all (men AND women) deal with it that counts.

No comments: