Wednesday, 11 July 2007

Diabetes risk linked to selenium supplements

Filed under:

Selenium is a part of the daily nutritional supplement regime for millions of people, but taking selenium by itself may have an ill effect on those hoping to ward off diabetes.

Researchers stated that people taking selenium supplements may actually be increasing their odds of developing diabetes, which came as a shock to me. I'm one of those that take the mineral daily as part of a combined nutritional supplement approach. Although supplement synergy is at hand in my strategy, this story caught my attention.

The research seems to point to people who take selenium in an isolated way, and those that do increased their risk to develop diabetes by more than half compared to those that did not take selenium supplements. More research on this is needed, but this initial study warrants some more reading I believe. For me, anyway. How about you?

No comments: