Wednesday, 11 July 2007

Book Review: Fat Girl by Judith Moore

Filed under:

I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up Fat Girl by Judith Moore at the library. But I'm glad I checked it out anyway because I couldn't put it down. It's a book that will appeal to anyone who has seen their weight yo-yo through a series of life events punctuated by seemingly endless diets; who has experienced loss, tragedy or self-loathing; who has felt fat, ashamed and unloved. The book is autobiographical and Moore tells the story of her life with an honesty that is all at once touching and tragic. Moore's struggle with weight began in her childhood and, with an absent father and a bitterly cruel mother, her shame about her body grew more and more everyday. Yet she doesn't feel sorry for herself -- she just tells it how it is.

If you've struggled with weight and body confidence (who hasn't?), you should pick this book up. For me, it was unforgettable. Or, if you've read it, let me know what you thought.

No comments: