Wednesday, 11 July 2007

Are you an ambivalent vegetarian?

Filed under: , , ,

I have been struggling for months to adopt a (mostly) vegetarian diet. Though I don't believe it's cruel to eat an animal, I do think the conditions in which most of our livestock are horrific and I don't want my food dollars to support them any longer. If I could find a good source of local, grass-fed, free-range/pastured, humanely treated poultry and beef, I'd likely let them back into my diet, at least occasionally. But for now -- most of the time -- I'm a semi-vegetarian who still eats fish. My ambivalence was never more obvious to me, however, then last week while on vacation, where I quickly returned to my carnivorous ways despite the pangs of guilt I felt after each meal.

So when I came across this essay today, I could relate on so many levels. The author does a fantastic job of touching on so many issues that we ambivalent vegetarians deal with -- the love of a good (meaty) meal, the desire not to be the squeaky wheel, and the guilt that comes when we finally do indulge ourselves. If you're thinking of becoming a vegetarian, are trying the lifestyle on for size, or have given up because you just couldn't do it, it's definitely worth a read.

No comments: