Friday, 13 July 2007

5 reasons to eat slower

Filed under: , ,

With a fast-paced job, a daughter to take care of, and a few demanding hobbies, I find I'm in a rush more frequently than I'd like to be. In addition to losing sleep, the one area in which I find I suffer most is eating. While on the worst days I'll occasionally skip a meal, what happens more often is that I'm cramming food down my throat while catching up work I couldn't get to at other points during the day.

There's a number of reasons why I'll be taking steps to break this habit, and here's the top 5:

1. Losing weight. Just by eating slower you consume few calories.
2. Enjoying my food.
3. Better digestion.
It helps your stomach if you take the time to chew before you swallow.
4. Less stress. Eating is a great excuse to take a break.
5. Rebel against fast food and fast food life. I like a good burger as much as the next person, but not only is fast food awful for you, it turns eating into a task that needs to be accomplished, rather than a process that you can you appreciate and enjoy.

So I'm resolving to take more time when I eat. I suspect I'll feel better for it.

[via Zen Habits]

No comments: