Thursday, 12 April 2007

Water filters really do work to improve water quality

Filed under: , , ,

Though my city sends out a professionally done "water quality report" each year, I'm skeptical. It's not that I don't trust what's written inside the pamphlet, I do. It's what's not written there that scares me. Recently, our local newspaper reported on the quality of our local water, and I was glad I already had my water filter firmly in place.

It turns out home water filters really can make a difference in your drinking water. They filter out lead, chlorine, and dangerous bacteria. Depending where you live, you may not need a water filter at all. But if your local drinking water routinely has safety violations (and 22 of 25 of the largest cities in the U.S. do, according to Consumer Reports) you may want to consider putting one in.

The question is, what kind to get? That depends on your needs. A pitcher will work if you only plan to filter your drinking water. We installed a tap filter, which is nice, but it does slow the flow of water and leaks on occasion. Other filters can be installed under your sink and you can even put in a whole-house filter. Luckily, Consumer Reports also found that you don't need to spend a fortune to improve the quality of your water, so if you do decide to filter, you should be able to find something that fits your budget. WebMD has a great list of the most common types of water filters and their pros and cons here.

No comments: