Wednesday, 4 April 2007

Can man's best friend do yoga? Really?

Filed under: , , ,

My dog and I exercise together nearly every day. All I have to do is whistle and she's at the door, so excited I can hardly put on her leash to take her for our daily walk or jog. But doggie yoga? That's a new one for me!

The class, which is offered by a Seattle area humane society, was developed as a way for people to spend time with their pets and to encourage exercise. The yoga poses used in the class are either chosen or modified to be done while staying in physical contact with the dogs. For instance, during "downward facing dog," humans gently rest their heads on their pets. Participants say their pets love it and often relax during classes, and the people in the class benefit from some extra exercise and socializing with their pets.

I'm all for new and innovative ideas that get people exercising and socializing, so good for them! I have to add, though, that I love this picture. That's exactly what my dog would be doing, only she'd probably be lying on her back, feet in the air...lazy thing. I think we'll stick to our daily walks; we both need the exercise!

No comments: